Monday, June 2, 2014

Stars That Eat Planets for Lunch


In the last couple of weeks, astronomers have announced the discovery of two stars that show evidence of having eaten some of their own Earth-like planets. Today came the announcement of the discovery of a star with planets that is growing larger and larger and is going to be eating its inner planets in the next couple of hundred million years.

These kinds of star "cannibal activity" are not that rare and should not cause us undue distress. It's business as usual in the Milky Way Galaxy, but what's new is that we are getting direct evidence for activities that earlier we only predicted from theory.

The two stars that already finished their meal a long time ago are known by their catalog numbers, HD20781 and HD20782. These stars belong to the same star system, and formed from the same original cloud of cosmic raw materials. This is the first "binary star" system where astronomers have discovered planets around each star. One has two Neptune-sized planets close by, the other has a Jupiter-sized planet whose orbit is not a nice circle but a stretched oval-shape.

Astronomers took a look at what the two stars are made of -- something we can learn by looking at the details in the colors of light from them. Every different element leaves its own "fingerprints" in the colors of light. Because the two stars formed at the same time, from the same "cosmic womb," we have more information about what they were like at the beginning.

According to Trey Mack, of Vanderbilt University, a graduate student who did the detailed analysis, both stars show evidence of elements in their atmospheres that were most likely not there when the two stars formed. Instead they are tell-tale signs of the stars having eaten planets made of rock. One star seems to have eaten the equivalent of 20 Earths, while the other consumed "only" ten Earths earlier in its history.

Astronomers have thought for a while that big "bully" planets like Jupiter and Neptune can, under the right circumstances, move inward and force smaller planets (like our Earth) to approach their stars until they are consumed. We are fortunate that this did not happen in the case of our solar system, and the Earth has a stable, undisturbed orbit which has allowed this blog's readers to evolve here. But it's getting clearer and clearer that not all star system will have the same history as ours did.

The other work deals with an act of cannibalism that happens late in the life of a star. All stars, at some point, have a "life-crisis" when their first fuel for making energy is all used up and the star has to adjust by briefly swelling up into a red-colored giant. The news is that astronomers have discovered that one of the stars around which the Kepler space mission has found three planets is on its way toward this period of swelling up. The star is known as Kepler 56, and the way in which it has started to swell up is telling us that it will eventually swallow its two inner planets, leaving only its outermost planet as survivor.

The devastation will not occur until more than a hundred million years have gone by, so it's not an immediate tragedy. We have seen many stars that swell up like this, but none of them have been known to possess planets. Kepler 56's worlds are therefore the first planets known to be orbiting other stars whose doom we can now predict. (By the way, in case you are worried, our own Sun will also have such a crisis and will swell up. But this is not happening for another five or six billion years, so I am not ready yet to include this eventuality on my home insurance policy.)


The image, by the way, is an artist's impression of an Earth-like planet being torn apart and then "eaten" by a Sun-like star.

10 comments:

  1. To all that are listening i want to thank the great spell caster Dr
    oduma for a wonderful work he has done,before now i have been living
    in this word of tears and sorrows every day that pass this was as a
    result of my inability to get a child for my husband he had married me
    for about five years and since five years i could not get him a
    child,His family people was even the worst of it they advised my
    husband to get another wife so that he can get them a grandchild but
    for the fact that we love each other very much he promise that he will
    never leave me for another woman since we love each other very much
    although we were both happy but i still feel very bad for not getting
    pregnant for him,i have tried all the different hospital but no one
    could help me they where all saying the same thing that my womb have
    been tempered with due to surgical operation i had that affected my
    womb as a result of a serious accident i had long time ago when i was
    still 15 years old.
    I have thought of many ways to get my problems solve but it seems all
    effort came to nothing,because off my thinking i also develop a heart
    problem but all this things are now things of the past due to the help
    of Dr.ODUMA,i came across him on one faithful day i can never forget
    the they i was introduce to this great spell caster by my cousin Mr
    Daniel living here in USA who he helped to save his marriage a long
    time ago i am so very happy to have him as my cousin i contacted the
    great spell caster and he told us not to worry that every thing will
    be alright he casted a wonderful spell and as i speak now the same
    doctor who said i can never be able to get pregnant have confirmed
    that i am 2 months pregnant all thanks to the spell caster Dr.ODUMA
    and come to think of it all my heart problem has also stop what a
    wonderful miracle my whole heart is full of joy its an on usual
    miracle so there listeners if you are looking for a help that need
    urgent attention beyond your power the only Spell caster i can
    recommend for you is Dr.ODUMA you can contact him through his
    email:odumaspelltemple0@gmail.com or +447035969024 for fast and
    easy solution to all your problems.I know that after he is done with
    you you will also come here to testify

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to share a great testimony on this website on how great Dr. ODUMA help me in falling pregnant,me and my husband have been trying to have a baby for over 6 years,but they where no luck so we decided to contact the family doctor and after all the test have been done,he said to us that one of my fallopian tube is not functioning.then one day i was in the office when a friend of mine who have the same problem with me, fall pregnant after she contacted Dr. ODUMA.she directed me to him and when i contacted him through is email and he did the purification on the pregnancy spell and in 8weeks time i was feeling some how and i want to meet the family doctor who told me that i m pregnant.if you know that you have a similar problem like this and you want to be pregnant you can contact odumaspelltemple0@gmail.com Dr.ODUMA via Email: odumaspelltemple0@gmail.com,or cell phone +447035969024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whats,App. him now +2348145810121 Hello Everyone , my name is Reema i am from Ohio United states, i just want everyone to know about Dr Sambo , he helped me win a lot of money few weeks ago on lottery, i have played a couple of times and i have never won , i contacted him and he gave me some lucky winning numbers , and he also instructed me on how to go about it , i played and i won $10,000,000  TEN MILLION DOLLARS , i have never seen such money all my life , but with the help of Dr Sambo , now i have that much , if you ever need help in getting money to pay for anything , do not hesitate to contact him , he will always be there to help you.contact him via his Email: divinespellhome@gmail.com 

      Delete
  3. my name is Ruth Andy from U.S.A
    i want to testify about a great spell caster that help me cast a spell that bring my husband back to me without any delay. I broke up with him with just little misunderstanding hoping we will get back shortly,but things was growing worse until i contacted Dr. Osas who help me with his historical powers to bring him back, i have never believed in a spell caster until i come across him, it will be of great sin if i should go out from here without dropping the contact of this great spell caster, in case you need the help of this great spell caster you can contact him through his email: once you contact him all your problems will be over ,once again i say very big thanks to you sir for helping me to recover my husband back, and please sir keep your good work because people need your help and in their lives ,once more thank you Dr Osas

    contact him via; manbelaspelltemple@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been married to my husband for 18years without no issue. on this faithful day, I decided to check the net for updates on healthy living and I came across a story of a man who Dr saulat helped his wife to conceive a baby. I decided to put a try because this has been my greatest problem in life. Today i am a proud mom. Words will not be enough to explain what this man did for me. He caste a pregnancy spell on me and I noticed I was pregnant on the 7th day after the spell. I am a happy mother, the pride of my family, a miracle in my town. I know there is someone in same condition and you feel there is no way. I urge you to contact him via email: saulatspellhome@yahoo.com this is the solution to every single mother around the globe. Distance is not a Barrier; he will surely make your dreams come through. You want your lover back or any other miracle in your life, contact him today so the world can be a better place to live...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is sandra chatell, am from England,what a wonderful and a straight forward spell caster that has brought back joy and happiness into my life after I saw a post on how he helped a lady called Cassandra, I decided to contact him for help when I told
    him my lover left me for 2 years without calling nor texting me, When I shared this my sad experience with Dr Akobe he said
    everything would be okay within 2 days and I was wondering if the man was saying the real thing and I thought he was a scam but I decided to give a try and to my surprise before the 3 days I just got a call from my husband who has left me for 2 years saying
    he is sorry and that he wants me back to his life I was so happy, He invited me for a dinner where I meet him and we both talked and he said he wants to prove that he we never leave me for any other lady he engaged me and also make me had access to all his account am so happy all thanks goes to this great man Dr Akobe a man who brought back joy to my life, am using these the medium to friends out there who need help please I advice you all to contact the powerful man Dr Akobe because he is the right man and not those fake ones who are online to make money and
    not to help: please you can contact Dr Akobe on these,561 705 1899 or email address: Akobespelltemple@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete


  6. I'm very excited sharing this testimony about how i save my marriage when my heart was broken, My name is Michelle Marlene from USA, My husband and I are both directors and shareholders in our family business. We have been married for 20 years but my husband is now going for a divorce, i agreed in the first place but i later realized what happens to my family and what rights will I have in the business if my husband divorce me, and i have worked so hard for my family and this business, i was incomplete and wondered what to do because he already went to court. I was browsing on the internet when i saw a post on how a spell caster called dr oduma helped someone bring back her ex, so i wondered if he can help me, i gave him the try and contacted him at his email {odumaspelltemple0@gmail.com}, he told me not to worry that everything would be alright, i gave him the chance to cast the spell, he told me that in 48 hours my husband will come back and beg me, i never believed it at first, surprisingly completing 48 hours he came back and started to beg me not be to be annoyed about what he did, and now we are happy again. Thank you DR ODUMA today my home is restored back if you are going through similar problem you can contact him at his private Email: odumaspelltemple0@gmail.com OR
    Mobile number +2348182394798
    Thank you Sir, i will always be testifying about your good work


    ReplyDelete
  7. Whats,App. him now +2348145810121 Hello Everyone , my name is Reema i am from Ohio United states, i just want everyone to know about Dr Sambo , he helped me win a lot of money few weeks ago on lottery, i have played a couple of times and i have never won , i contacted him and he gave me some lucky winning numbers , and he also instructed me on how to go about it , i played and i won $10,000,000  TEN MILLION DOLLARS , i have never seen such money all my life , but with the help of Dr Sambo , now i have that much , if you ever need help in getting money to pay for anything , do not hesitate to contact him , he will always be there to help you.contact him via his Email: divinespellhome@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whats,App. him now +2348145810121 Hello Everyone , my name is Reema i am from Ohio United states, i just want everyone to know about Dr Sambo , he helped me win a lot of money few weeks ago on lottery, i have played a couple of times and i have never won , i contacted him and he gave me some lucky winning numbers , and he also instructed me on how to go about it , i played and i won $10,000,000  TEN MILLION DOLLARS , i have never seen such money all my life , but with the help of Dr Sambo , now i have that much , if you ever need help in getting money to pay for anything , do not hesitate to contact him , he will always be there to help you.contact him via his Email: divinespellhome@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whats,App. him now +2348145810121 Hello Everyone , my name is Reema i am from Ohio United states, i just want everyone to know about Dr Sambo , he helped me win a lot of money few weeks ago on lottery, i have played a couple of times and i have never won , i contacted him and he gave me some lucky winning numbers , and he also instructed me on how to go about it , i played and i won $10,000,000  TEN MILLION DOLLARS , i have never seen such money all my life , but with the help of Dr Sambo , now i have that much , if you ever need help in getting money to pay for anything , do not hesitate to contact him , he will always be there to help you.contact him via his Email: divinespellhome@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete