Saturday, May 23, 2015

Mars Rover Sees Rock Spire as It Reaches 4000th Martian Day Record


At the end of April, the Opportunity Rover on Mars reached its 4000th martian day of operations! (A day on Mars is 24 hours and 40 minutes long.) Opportunity has been exploring the planets since early in 2004, and has survived far longer than most scientists and engineers expected.

Our photo shows a beautiful image mosaic it took of the red deserts of Mars, focusing on an elongated crater (seen a bit darker than the surrounding countryside) called "Spirit of St. Louis."


If you click on the picture, you can see it bigger. The crater is about 110 feet long and the interesting rock spire on its far end is about 7 to 10 feet high.

The Spirit of St. Louis crater is on the outer part of the western rim of a much larger crater that Opportunity has been exploring, called Endeavour. You have a view into that bigger crater if you look on either side of the rock spire.

(If the names in this story are not your favorites, you are not alone. Not everyone loves the NASA designations; I think not even Donald Trump would name his child Opportunity, but what are you going to do.)

Mars is every bit as dry and dusty as you might imagine from this picture. The energy for the stalwart little rover comes from its solar panels, and over the years they have become covered with dust. Each time, we thought this spelled the end of the mission, but then the martian winds whipped up a dust devil, which cleaned the solar panels and gave the rover fresh life. Planetary exploration is full of surprises.

****

For a different view, from a different robotic explorer, check out the small but fascinating mineral veins, seen by the Curiosity Rover in March, at: http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/figures/PIA19161_fig1.jpg
The mineral rows we see are only about 2.5 inches high, but wonderfully complex.  By the way, this picture has been edited to change the martian light slightly to be more like Earth light, so geologists could compare the mineral deposits to more familiar ones on Earth. The picture you see is a combination of 28 telephoto lens images.  Aren't they wonderfully sharp?

Speaking of Sharp, Curiosity is now making its way toward and up Mt. Sharp, the layered mountain inside a crater which we think was under water billions of years ago. We expect lots of great images as Curiosity makes its slow and careful trek up the mountain.

1 comment:

  1. Want to know how to get over a broken heart? A break up can feel like the end of the world, but if you really do want to move on, here’s a complete guide on how to deal with a broken heart.My name is Mimi Bieber, i live in Tx,USA. since 6 months I have witness what is called heart broke. my boyfriend that promised me marriage failed me and impregnate me and leave,he dump me,he stop calling" he stop picking my calls,and he no longer respond to me. I have be looking for solution,I fall into the hands of fake spell caster,they rough me off and took my money without help.I have cried,I have weep"and tears runs out of eyes. The silentness in my heart brought me to the deepest path of failure that I lost my job. Crying all day,because of my life was lonely. So thanks to Dr Brave that came into my life and brought me the greatest joy that was lost. I saw his mail while browsing and I contact and tell him what I am passing through with no doubt because what saw about him,was enough to believe. And I was given words of solution on what to do. I can't really help thinking about it I have tried to see what I can do, I manage to provide him some materials and he help me with the rest,after casting the spell, 12hrs later he came with rose on his hand and I was even about going out,i saw him in front of my door when he sees me he knee and said he is dying I should forgive him and accept him back he was crying,I can't wait to let him finish I quickly crab him and kiss him, just then" he said he is restless without me, just as the prophet has said he will be. He brought out a ring and put it on my hand. Our wedding day was scheduled,1week after we got married. today makes it 2weeks and we are living happily I don't know how to praise him enough, he has done me a thing I can never forget. And I can't really share to myself alone, I want y'all to help me praise him because if it is wasn't for him I already plan of committing suicide. But right now I am now so happy more than I was before. And you out there crying for help you've already got one,Dr Brave is the man that you need in all rampart. contact his address if you need his service, bravespellcaster@gmail.com also contact him on his web site:http://lovespelldrbrave.weebly.com/Thanks you Dr Brave, i will always be testifying about your good work.

    ReplyDelete