Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Planet Discovered Around the Nearest Star


Astronomers at the European Southern Observatory are announcing today that they have found an Earth-sized planet orbiting the nearest star to the Sun, Proxima Centauri.  The star is only 4.2 light years away (which is roughly 25 thousand billion miles – that’s close for astronomers!)

The newly found planet takes 11 days to orbit its reddish star (compare that to Mercury, the closest planet in OUR solar system, which takes 88 days to go around the Sun.)   You might think that a planet that takes only a week and a half to orbit its star must be outrageously hot, but the difference is that Proxima Centauri is a much fainter and cooler star than the Sun.  So the planet could be in the star's habitable zone (liquid water may possibly exist on its surface.)

We found this planet, as we have many others, not by getting a picture of it, but by measuring the pull of the planet on the star.  As the planet circles the star, from one side of it to the other, the planet’s gravity, small as it is, makes the star wiggle just a little bit.  And it’s this wiggling of the star that we can detect from Earth and use it to estimate the mass (gravity) of the planet.

This method can only tell us the minimum mass that the planet must have, and that turns out to be 1.3 times the mass of the Earth. (The wiggle, by the way, only changes the motion of the star by about 3 miles per hour, toward us and then away from us.  That’s a tiny change, but modern instruments are able to make out changes in speed that small.)

A planet with that low a mass is most likely a solid rocky planet, like ours.  Being so much in the gravity embrace of the star, the planet may have one side permanently pointed toward it, much like our Moon has one side permanently pointed toward the Earth as it goes around us. The Proxima Centauri planet would then also rotate in 11 days, making its day and its year the same length!   That’s weird to think about.

The fastest planetary probe we have built so far would take something like 80,000 years to get to Proxima Centauri.   It’s hard to get graduate students to volunteer for that kind of trip!  But, as you may have heard, Yuri Milner, the Russian-American billionaire physicst, has, earlier this year, pledged a hundred million dollars for a research effort to develop a mini-probe, smaller than the smallest cell phone, yet with working instruments, that could ride powerful laser beams and get to the nearest star system in only 20 to 25 years.

Clearly, Project Breakthrough Starshot, as it’s called, will now focus on Proxima Centauri, the nearest of the three stars in the closest star system.  Bets have been on one of the other two stars (called Alpha Centauri, after the brightest in the pair) to have planets, but the first discovery belongs to Proxima.  What an exciting time to be alive.

Above is an artist's conception of what Proxima would look like from the planet's vantage point, and below is a diagram with key characteristics of the Proxima system compared to our own.





5 comments:

  1. I'll be following this development. I'm quite interested in the possibility a probe will be sent to this planet. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow i never thought i will happy in my life ever again, i want you all to thank DR OGUDUGU of GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM, he is a father that takes care of his children the spell caster of our time, he has saved me from a very ugly situation that almost made my life miserable and i want you all to thank him for me,my husband and i have be married for so many years now with children and the relationship was being threatened by a small girl in his working place,she was almost destroying my home i met so many spell casters but to no avail until i met a friend who came from africa and she told me about DR OGUDUGU, and i decided to contact him and try him out as i was losing faith in all spell casters, but he told not to worry that now am in his temple everything will be alright he assured me 100% that his spell has no side effects and that it will work straight and save my home and my marriage and after he has performed the sacrifices and casted the spell, my husband came back to us with love and affection and he loved us more and more and he never looked back or none did his love for me waiver, if you are also experiencing this sort of your situation in your home, if your husband is drifting away, if you are experiencing a broken home or you have lost your husband to a young woman outside there then look no further help is here as GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM is ready to help you out okay for any of your problem is it financial needs, revenge spell,Hiv cure, job spell, promotion spell what kind of spell do you need DR OGUDUGU is going to solve it for you okay i have promised him to always talk of his good works to the world in general and to any body who cares to listen, you can email him on his personal email on or GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM and he will attend to you as soon as possible okay once again his email is GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article is dedicated to the Doctor Osemu Okpamen. I have been married with my wife for 5 years and recently she broke up with me and it hurt me deeply when she told me to leave her alone and that she does not love me anymore when i was always faithful and honest to her. I tried all the ways to get her back buying her what she wants like i always did and she still left me heart broken and she even has a new boyfriend which destroyed me even more until a friend of mine from high school directed me to this genuine spell Doctor called Osemu Okpamen. This man changed my life completely. I followed everything he told me to do and my wife came back begging for me back. I was stunned everything happened exactly like he told me. I had faith in everything he told me and everything was true. Also he was there every moment until i got my happiness back and he also provides spells that cures any diseases & sickness. You could contact him via email at { Doctorokpamenspelltemple@yahoo.com } or reach him on +1 (914)-517-3229. He will help you in anything you need and quick to answer once you contact him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you DR BLESSING for your genuine and powerful love spells. I'm Lilian by name. From Canada This is really incredible, and I have never experienced anything like this in my entire life. Before i met you Sir, i have tried every probable means that i could to get my husband back, but i actually came to realize that nothing was working out for me, and that my husband had developed lot of hatred for me.. I thought there was no hope to reunite with my husband. But when i read good reviews about how DR BLESSING helped others, I decided to Email him at blessingspiritualtemple@gmail.com to give it a try and i did everything that he instructed me and i Trusted in him and followed his instructions just as he have guaranteed me in 24 hours, and that was exactly when my husband called me..Sir We are more contented now than ever. Everything looks perfect and so natural! Thank you so much Sir for your authentic and indisputable spells. here again his
    contact details you too can be blessed with his work

    Email; blessingspiritualtemple@gmail.com

    Thanks Sir for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just lost my man about three months ago though he is back again full of love and passion with the help of great man Dr. IKHIDE. I NORAH PEDRO from Norway, have been into a relationship with daniel mark since I was 22 years old and I am 28 now. I so much love him but I could not show the love, it was very difficult for me to prove my realness to him because I thought to prove my love to him might make him look down on me and go after other girls. for over six years Daniel has given me all that I ask of him. I always threatened him with break up each time I want to see his level of love for me because I was told if I threaten him, he will propose to me and then will get married to him before I can show my love despite his complains of him not sure of my love I was responding to him with negative words. though I was suspecting he has another girl in his life, I did not border to ask him about that because I was so sure of his love despite my attitude. on the 8th of September a day to my birthday he came and gave me so many lovely gifts like never before claiming to wish me a happy birthday in advance with his words and behavior I expected him to propose to me on my birthday night then I will also tell him of my pregnant for him. I wait for him on my birthday he did not show up not even a call, I tried his number and it was not going through I refuse to go check on him because the anger in me six days later I went to his house and I found nothing not even a sign of my Daniel once live there. I was disappointed, frustrated, confused with so many thoughts on my mind like hanging my self if I did not see him again because I can not my parent about the pregnancy when the man responsible for it had disappeared. our religion's against that, my family will be disappointed in me, I have brought them shame. I look for daniel everywhere till I could chat with him on social network, he warned me never to disturb him again because he already had found another girl that he wants to live his life with, after a while, he blocked me from all access then I could not tell him of my pregnancy for him. so, I needed help from all corners of life, I decide to check to google my self or read some write up on-site on how to coup with my pain because I could not tell anybody about it not even my friends were aware of my pregnancy. I keep reading to cancel my self till I find how Dr. IKHIDE helps so many persons from different walks of life with their testimonies. then I decide to also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com. Because I do not know much about contacting a spell caster, I was not sure he can bring my Dan back but I decide to give him a try though his requirement was another problem I meet with a friend for help because I could not the items that he needed I have to plead with Dr. IKHIDE to help me get the items because really need my man back to take away my shame. just two days after I send him the requirement Daniel calls me, plead for forgiveness. just yesterday he propose to me and I am so happy. you can also contact him with dr.ikhide@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete